Below is a translation of the Jean-Luc Mélenchon's election program for 2017 French presidential here).
elections (the original in French is available
Our collective intelligence can overcome all difficulties if we all put ourselves in the service of the common good.
The motto of our Republic, "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity "sets a course for us.
We must assume our responsibilities not only for ourselves but also for universal humanity.
I am prepared for it. You are ready, I know.
The presidential monarchy is out of breath. It must be abolished. We want to put an end to the 5th Republic. The oligarchy and the caste in power do not represent the people.
For this, we propose to the French to write a new Constitution, that of the 6th Republic.
The sovereign people must redefine our democratic rules and define new social, ecological and emancipatory rights.
- Convocation of a Constituent Assembly by referendum (Article 11 of the current Constitution)
- Transparency throughout the writing of the new Constitution
- Final referendum for approval by the French people
- Allow all citizens to participate (paid professional leave during construction)
- No parliamentary member of the 5th republic
- Equal numbers of women and men
- Proportional participation nationally, with participants drawn by lot
Reviving the economy will not be enough to create jobs, we must break the financial dominion and limit the power of shareholders. The contract of employment alone does not guarantee the rights of workers and employees, it is the Law that protects. It is time to bring citizenship back into the business.
STOP THE DISMISSALS
- End Stock market dismissals
- Prohibiting the payment of dividends to companies that dismiss in case of economic difficulties
- Granting works councils a suspensive right of veto on redundancy plans
- A right of first refusal to employees to form a cooperative in case of closure or sale of their company
- Establish the ability of employees to take a vote of no confidence against company directors or projects with an obligation on a company to examine the counter-proposals submitted by the trade unions
- Ensure the continuity of personal rights outside the employment contract (right to training, seniority, etc.)
- Guaranteeing income in the event of loss of employment or withdrawal of activity, within the framework of occupational social security
The public justice system can no longer properly carry out its mission. The courts are wasting away, human and financial resources are lacking, litigants and legal professionals are entitled to demand an unprecedented effort.
INVESTING FOR JUSTICE
- Recruitment of staff to relieve congestion in courts and shorten deadlines
- Renovation of prison premises and construction of courts
- Increase in the number of prison officers to ensure dignity in prison
- Putting to an end the reliance on prison sentences with alternative penalties
- Guaranteeing the judicial protection of young people by giving priority to prevention and by using educational sanctions
- Disestablish the Court of Justice to enable ministers to face ordinary justice
- Guarantee judicial independence
- Disencumbering police action by legalising cannabis and controlling the production and sale by the state
- Repeal ineffective security laws and strengthen prevention policies
- A judicial policy equal to the ambitions of equality of all before the law and which rejects the "double standards"
We need a police force of the Republic guaranteeing internal security and safety. Human and financial means must be provided to protect individual and collective freedoms. Prevention, deterrence, sanction: the fight for security will not be effective without resting on these three requirements.
A REPUBLICAN POLICE
- An end to the aberrant policy of setting arrest numbers
- Rehabilitate the local police by reorganising the municipal police forces and dismantling the Brigade anti-criminalité
- Give priority to the dismantling of trafficking (drugs, arms, human beings, corruption, terrorism)
- Plan for the recruitment of gendarmes, police officers (2007 numbers), administrative, technical and scientific staff
- Renovating police stations and improving public relations
- End the state of emergency: exceptional powers do not protect better than the rule of law
- Strengthen territorial intelligence by developing human resources
- Fight the communitarian logic that seeks to divide us. Fighting against recruitment in prison
Instead of fighting finance, Hollande and Valls helped it pillage the real economy. Revenue from shares in France is the highest in Europe. Financial bubbles threaten our jobs. We must protect the real economy from finance!
- Separation of speculating merchant banks and retail banks that help investors in the real economy
- Control capital movements to defeat tax evasion and avoidance and prevent attacks by speculators
- An effective tax on financial transactions
- Maximum wage ratio between the top and bottom earners within a single company 1 to 20
- Supervision of the exorbitant revenues of the largest shareholders
- Right of pre-emption for employees in the event of sale of their business
- Reduction in bank charges
- Compel Société Générale to repay 2.2 billion euros to the State following the recognition of its responsibility in the case known as Jérôme Kerviel
- Pursuing financial criminals
10% unemployment! 6 million unemployed workers. The fear of unemployment is an effective muzzle to prevent workers from claiming their rights and wage increases. It is not the "war to the unemployed" that must be carried out, it is to revive the activity and create jobs. Solidarity protectionism is at the service of the general interest against multinationals and financial globalisation. The great movements of the world must stop!
- Creating 3.5 million jobs through reduced working time, energy transition, peasant agriculture, marine economy, civil service and youth contracts
- Invest 100 billion euros to boost activity in major projects of national interest
- Increase the net monthly wage to €1,326 and upgrade the frozen salaries of officials
- Rejection of the international free trade agreements: TAFTA with the United States, CETA with Canada and TISA’s liberalisation of services
- Mileage and Carbon Tax on Imports
- Emergency protectionist measures to save strategic industries (steel, photovoltaic, ...)
- Prohibition of child labour and trade retaliation against tax havens
- Prohibition of stock market dismissals and the payment of dividends in enterprises using economic redundancies
With the governments of Fillon/Sarkozy and Hollande/Valls, the retirement age has risen to 66 years with 43 years of contributions for a full pension! After years of work, "seniors" find themselves unemployed while waiting for a discounted and minimal pension. It's insane!
A RIGHT TO A DIGNIFIED RETIREMENT
- 60-year full-rate retirement with a contribution period for a full retirement following of 40 years.
- Retirement pensions at the level of the average wage level for a full career and the minimum old age at 1000 € (200 € more)
- To make the solidarity regime between generations sustainable by rejecting European policies in favour of funding retirement
- Establish a solidarity tax on the financial revenues of enterprises
- Expand the basis for contributions to the pension scheme by allowing self-employed persons, craftsmen, traders, small and medium-sized businesses to contribute to the general scheme
Equality between women and men is an important social issue! Even today, with equivalent positions and qualifications, women are paid less than men. The part-time constraints affect 80% of women. Maternity remains a "risk" for many women's careers. Consequence: many women in precarious situations, even poverty, and families in distress.
EQUALITY OF WAGES
- Generalisation of enterprise agreements against wage and career inequalities between women and men
- Financial and criminal penalties against companies that do not respect this equality (including up to a ban on access to public contracts)
- Parity between women and men in representative institutions (political, Administrative, etc.)
- Parental leave of equal duration for parents
- Strengthen family planning in its mission of training and education, for contraception and a right to abortion
- Limiting the use of staggered shift schedules
- Fighting Violence Against Women
- Prohibition of evictions without a relocation solution
- Target of Zero Homeless: Everyone must be offered accommodation or emergency housing
- Construction of one million public housing units to ecological standards
- Ecological renovation plan to isolate 3.5 million dwellings and eradicate unhealthy homes
- Establishment of a one-stop shop for the ecological renovation of the home of individual owners
- Universal guarantee of rents to promote access to housing for all
- Assist participatory and cooperative habitat initiatives (projects between several tenants and owners)
- Progressive tax on transactions in excess of €1 million for private dwellings
Sharing of wealth is also achieved through taxation. Our country is rich. But the money is taken by some, instead of being made available through taxation to be put in the service of the general interest. It must be re-founded on a clear and redistributive basis. Everyone already pays unjust taxes like the value-added tax (VAT) or the contribution sociale généralisée (CSG). With the tax revolution, everyone will contribute according to their real means.
MAKING THE REPUBLICAN TAX
- Make income tax more progressive with a 14-slice scale instead of 5 today
- Impose on income from capital as well as labour through a broad and unified tax base
- Remove tax niches considered unfair, socially inefficient or environmentally harmful
- Surcharge on income above € 400,000 per year (€ 33,000 per month)
- Reducing VAT on basic necessities, cancelling recent increases and reinstating a "luxury VAT" to finance these decreases
- Reinforcing the solidarity tax on wealth for assets over one million euros
- Increase inheritance rights on large estates (no tax on inheritances of below 130 000 euros per child)
- Create a maximum inheritance for fortunes above 30 million euros (the richest 0.01%)
FOR 100% RENEWABLE ENERGY
Climate change requires the emission of greenhouse gas emissions. Nuclear power is not a solution for the future and an accident will have disastrous consequences with no going back. We have to get out of it. It is a significant technical and human challenge. Scientific studies show that this is possible by 2050. Only political will is lacking. We have it!
RESPONDING TO EMERGENCY
- Stop subsidies for fossil fuels and any prospecting of shale and coal gas, and oil
- Ending reliance on nuclear power by starting with the immediate closure of the Fessenheim plant by guaranteeing the employment of employees and their training
- Abandonment of Nuclear Reactor Projects and Nuclear Dump Policy near the village Bure in the east of France
- Energy transition plan to renewable energies based on sobriety and efficiency: 100% renewable target by 2050
- Public Centre of Energy to lead a coherent national policy, renationalizing EDF and Engie
- Development and investment in the search for alternative, non-polluting energies, particularly renewable marine energies
We will ensure a decent life for all, by ensuring access to drinking water and energy. According to the UN, the world will face a global shortage of water by 2030. Water is a common good that cannot be monopoliSed by private interests.
- Establish free access to the necessary quantities of water for a dignified life
- Prohibit water cut-offs and flow reductions at home
- PenaliSe the misuse and waste by introducing progressive pricing
- International support for global access to water and sanitation
- Prohibiting the discharge of polluted water into rivers and the sea without prior treatment
- Ensuring public ownership of sanitation
- Return to a public water authority by not renewing the management contracts of private companies
- Involving users, elected representatives and professionals in public bodies
A BIOLOGICAL AGRICULTURE
- Ban GMOs, and banish harmful pesticides (glyphosate, neonicotinoids, etc.)
- Moving towards a 100% organic local food in collective catering
- Reducing the proportion of meat proteins in the diet to the benefit of vegetable proteins
- Facilitating the installation of young farmers to create 300,000 agricultural jobs and a renegotiation of the Common Agricultural Policy
- Stop projects from factory farms where animals are abused
- Focus on local distribution networks, and limit the margins of large-scale distribution to guarantee remunerative prices for producers
The European Union is on the verge of dislocation. It did not want to listen to the refusals of the peoples since the French referendum of 2005. The European Commission, made up of bureaucrats and dominated by Germany, wants to oblige the countries to repay debts the majority of which are bank debts!
- Stop liberalisation and privatisation of public services requested by Brussels
- Amend the Statutes of the European Central Bank so that it can lend directly to states
- Disobedience to the absurd rule governing state deficits at 3% (stability pact)
- End of the directive on the posting of workers in France: the social contributions must be the same for all
- Negotiating a democratic, social and ecological restructuring of the European Union
- Submit the result of the negotiations to the sovereign French people to decide the participation or the exit of the European Union
- Suspension of France's contribution to the budget of the European Union (€ 22 billion per year of which € 7 billion of "net" contribution)
- Transformation of the euro into a common currency which is no longer singular
- Control of capital and goods at national borders
STRENGTHENING THE UN
- Refuse any military intervention without a United Nations mandate, the only legitimate body guaranteeing collective security
- Leaving NATO and refusing any permanent military alliance
- Stop the Europe of the Defence, which prepares the war under the command of the United States
- Building peace in Syria and Iraq through the establishment of a universal coalition under the aegis of the UN
- Revise hypocritical alliances with the Gulf's petro-monarchies (Qatar, Saudi Arabia, ...)
- Recognise the Palestinian state and support the two-state solution peacefully coexisting
- To end Francafrica by respecting the sovereignty of the African States and that of the peoples
- Join the BRICS Development Bank (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) and build a new Anti-Globalist alliance
Migration is too serious a subject to reduce it to opportunistic outbidding and uncontrolled drives. The first task is to allow everyone to live at home because emigrating is always a suffering for the one who leaves.
- Apply active and independent diplomacy to the cause of peace to stop migrants needing to flee from their country by stopping wars and ending unequal trade agreements that destroy local economies
- Rethinking the European policy of control of external borders by refusing the militarization of migration control
- Working towards the creation of a United Nations-linked World Organisation of Migration
- To reaffirm the right of asylum by welcoming refugees who come under it through an administration adapted to this mission
- Respect the human dignity of migrants, particularly in host camps
- Ensure the fundamental right to family life by stopping the placement of children in detention centres and assisting unaccompanied minors
- National plan for the prevention of diseases related to pollution, pesticides, food, drug and alcohol use, suffering at work and stress
- Department of general practitioners, State officials, who will work in rural and regional areas
- 100% reimbursement of prescribed care: free dental, optical and hearing care and equipment, lower glasses price
- Public centre of medicine to lower prices and protect medical research from financial speculation of pharmaceutical laboratories
- Increased capacity in hospitals and recruitment of doctors, nurses and assistants to make the public hospital a service of high medical and human quality
- Compulsory education from 3 to 18 years, adapting the pedagogies and the school trajectories.
- The materials and associated activities free of charge: canteen, transport, extracurricular activities, textbooks, supplies
- Reduce the number of pupils per class in primary and nursery schools and support networks for the students in difficulty
- Revision of the school map to ensure social mix
- Valorisation of the profession of teacher through their remuneration, their mission and the means of exercise
- Recruitment of 60,000 additional teachers in 5 years
- Repeal of the Carle law which obliges municipalities to finance private education
- Restore the duration of the professional baccalaureate to 4 years
- Organise a complete territorial network by increasing the number of vocational schools
CREATION AND TRANSMISSION
- 1% of GDP for art, culture and creation
- Defence of international exception and diversity cultural
- Develop cultural awareness through training in culture from all levels of education
- Creation of a public online media library, with a legal offer platform for music, films and cultural content
- Removal of the ineffective Hadopi law  and introduction of a universal subscription on internet subscriptions to finance non-commercial downloading
- To perpetuate the regime of intermittent performers on the basis of the agreement of 28 April 2016 and extend it to precarious artistic professions
- Create 300,000 jobs focused on the marine economy
- Open a public maritime vocational high school in each coastal and overseas department
- Develop "blue classes" so that each child can see the sea
- Renewable marine energy (EMRs) to at least 13 GW by 2030 and 30 GW by 2050
- Nationalisation of the Alstom Marine Energy division sold to General Electric
- Implementing a plan for overseas energy self-sufficiency
- Establish a plan for the renewal of the fishing fleet under ecological conditions, beginning with the 1,700 vessels over 35 years old
- Developing offshore aquaculture around off-shore wind farms
Space is a formidable challenge for humanity. Our nation, focused on space, can spearhead the research and development of related technologies. It is the object of commercial lusts. It is, in the same way as air or water, a common good, which must be protected from the rapacity of the financial oligarchy.
- Continue scientific discovery of the universe via terrestrial and space observatories
- Following up on the Rosetta mission, which, together with the Philae probe, enabled us to improve our knowledge of the origin of living organisms
- Developing Interplanetary Missions (Mars)
- Launch a land-based orbit clean-up program
- Launch a light pollution control program that deprives part of the population of the sight of the stars and harms the observations
- Ensure a permanent human presence in space
- Launch the renewal of the International Space Station
- Propose the creation of a permanent base on the Moon
The digital world is a new frontier of humanity. The activities related to the virtual, the Internet and the robotics are an opportunity for France! Private interests seek to profit from it. If this field is left to the multinationals, they will make it a space of submission to the financial logics and restriction of freedoms. We must affirm the general character of the digital revolution.
- Remove Hadopi law, an ineffective and costly law against piracy
- Ensuring broadband Internet coverage across the country
- Prohibit generalised filing and delete the "honest people" file (TES file)
- Protecting personal data, including those hosted abroad, and fighting against their mercantile use
- Reclaiming public control over digital and telecommunications technologies (submarine cables, satellite launches)
- Guaranteeing net neutrality to ensure unrestricted and unrestricted access
- Encourage the creation of collective places for the creation of digital tools (Fablabs)
- Fostering French creations in the field of video games
1 An arm of the French National Police which specialises in interventions into public housing estates.
2 Jérôme Kerviel - a French trader who was convicted in the 2008 Société Générale trading loss for breach of trust, forgery and unauthorised use of the bank's computers, resulting in losses valued at €4.9 billion. Société Générale characterised Kerviel as a rogue trader and claimed Kerviel worked these trades alone and without its authorization – claim which is widely viewed with scepticism.
3 CSG is compulsory flat levy which funds French social security system
4 EDF is France’s largest power company formed in 1946, it the French government partially privatised it in 2005, floating 15% of the company on the stock exchange.
5 ENGIE is France’s second largest power company and one of the world’s oldest multinational corporations, the French government holds a 33% stake in ENGIE.
6 The Common Agricultural Policy is the agricultural policy of the EU. It includes the administration of subsidies.
7 Vocational degree, which is currently earned after two or three years depending on the type of secondary education.
8 law dealing with copyright, which allowed individuals who had been found to have violated copyright laws to have their internet access suspended (this aspect of the law was suspended as it was deemed disproportionate) and for fines to be issued.